Wednesday, August 26, 2009

So I Ran Across This....

The following post is what someone else wrote on their blog and I found it by accident. Read it and let me know at what points your eyes widen, your mouth drops, and you began to have other thoughts...

"I stood on my front steps last evening, talking to my neighbor, a woman as ridiculously vigilant regarding the park as I am.

You see, there’s a public park across the street from our properties, a lovely green spot with big trees. There’s soccer and baseball in the summer, hockey in the winter, large intra-mural colored-tee-shirt-wearing competitions between teenagers of different churches (“Current standings: Lamb of God has walloped Christ Our Lord at the three-legged race; House of Mercy has trounced Abundant Life in punt/pass/throw! Up next: The Church of the Nazarene against 34th Street Southern Baptist. You have two minutes to the starting gun! Two minutes!”)

Screaming laughing kids, the litter, the bull-horned announcements, the cars.

The cars.

Sometimes the cars pull up, cut their engines, make phone calls, wait for other cars. Thug-Life tattooed men move things from one trunk to another and then speed away.

And there I am, on my second-floor porch, watching, trying to get a license plate number. Difficult to do, but the binoculars I got for my birthday help.

No one ever looks up.

And those aren’t hotdish recipes they’re trading.

I call every time, but the cops haven’t made it in time to catch them yet.

The cars – who can describe them? That’s the problem when you can’t get the plate number.

“Ummm. It was a white car. It had four doors and tinted windows. I’m pretty sure it had tires. And there was chrome. Lots of chrome. Oh, and I believe “Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle” was on the DVD player in the back, but I might be wrong about that.”

Have you seen that car?

When did I stop knowing things about cars? I like to think it was when, at least in my eyes, they stopped being distinctive and interesting; but it could actually be about the time I didn’t have to know anything any more, aka after me and the Lug Nut broke up.

I think I became willfully ignorant after that, just because I could.

Ha! Take that, ex-boyfriend! I refuse to remember what you taught me!

That’ll teach him to, uh, teach.

Anyway, what I know about cars would fill a thimble, and get your thimble ready because here it is: You absolutely can flush your own radiator by following the directions on a package; if you’ve just changed your oil and yet nothing registers on the dipstick you might want to check if you put the plug back in; no matter what anyone tells you, your Van Allen Belt is not loose; and there’s not been a single recorded instance of someone being dangerously low on blinker fluid.

And when you absolutely can’t tell a Honda Accord from a Honda Civic, you keep your camera at hand.

Bring on the arms traders. "


~feenix

4 comments:

~JSW said...

So I’m not sure what just happened. it at first sounded like another pointless musing about a beautiful day, but the "thug-life tattooed men" part threw me off. Then she seems to imply that they are doing something illegal instead of just trading food/recipes. In my mind I picture some old bitter white lady living in a neighborhood that seems to have gotten a bit blacker than she cared for. So instead of her just accepting and living, she's out every Sunday racial profiling and writing down license plate number so she can get some kind good willed fellow pulled on over and harassed on his way home. but that's just my interpretation.

~Feenix~ said...

Thats why I love you to pieces !!!!!
Virgo Power!

KB said...

Clearly this woman needs to get a life, and also some help on how to write a coherent statement. I got lost so many times in her writing I just about gave up. In addition to her racial profiling she probably sits at home and remembers when, she had a life, a boyfirend, someone who cared about her existance(like the people she peers at through her window do)

~Feenix~ said...

Yayyyyy! Kels is here!